Saturday, March 17, 2012

Oatmeal Pancake Mix

This recipe has been on my "to make" list for a long long time. It comes from melskitchencafe.com...which a lot of my "I want to make" recipes do come from. I think I've said how amazing I think she is, but here it is again. This is a recipe that makes a whole bunch of mix that you can save in the fridge/freezer for...ever. I can't tell you how it is after a while...but made the same day, the pancakes are DELICIOUS. Probably my favorite pancake mix I've found so far.


Photo credit to me
 Oatmeal Pancake Mix
Makes 10 cups of dry mix
3 1/2 cups rolled oats
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour*
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup vegetable or canola oil
*or just use 5 cups whole wheat instead of 3 and 2)

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a mixer with a paddle. If desired, grind the oats in a blender or food processor before adding to the other dry ingredients for a smoother mix (which I did and LOVED the texture). With mixer on slow speed, drizzle the vegetable oil into the bowl slowly while the mixer is running. When all the oil has been added, stop the mixer and squeeze a clump of mix in your hand. If it stays together, it is just right. If it is still crumbly, add another tablespoon of oil at a time until the consistency is correct (I’ve never had to add additional oil). Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks at room temperature or indefinitely in the refrigerator or freezer.

To make the pancakes: whisk together 1 cup of mix, 1 cup buttermilk (a combination of half plain yogurt and half milk will also work), and 1 egg. The mixture may seem thin at first but the oats will soak up the milk as it stands while the griddle preheats. Heat a griddle and drop the batter onto it. When the edges look dry and bubbles come to the surface and don’t break, turn the pancake over to finish cooking on the second side. 

As a sidenote, buttermilk can be frozen indefinitely for future batches of pancakes, so it’s worth keeping it around!
Photo credit to me
Another sidenote: I added some frozen raspberries to the top, then added the hot syrup and I almost went to heaven.

Recipe Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

*Update 7/11/12: Scott decided he doesn't love these. Every time I make a batch from the frozen batter mix, there are "chunks" of baking soda or salt or something. Maybe I made it wrong...or he's really picky(which I highly doubt). I still love them...just an FYI.

No comments: