Friday, June 15, 2012

Zucchini Cheese Quiche

I found this recipe and tried it for a friends baby shower. For a week, I stopped eating things with milk to see if it would get out of my breastmilk and help L with her acid reflux (or whatever it was). Therefore, I didn't try this at first. Everyone that tried it complimented me and kept talking about it...I was dying to try it! However, after a week and a half with no improvement in L, I tried it. Oh. My.
They were right, and I'm urging you to try it. If I could use force through a computer...I would.
Photo Credit to ourbestbites.com
Zucchini Cheese Quiche
Serves 6-8
1 single 9″ pie crust (I used store bought...don't judge)
1 lb zucchini, thinly sliced (about 3 small-medium zucchini)
1 Tbs butter
1/2 C diced red onion
3 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
kosher salt
black pepper
3 eggs
1/2 Tbs dijon mustard
1 1/2 Tbs fresh chopped oregano (or 1 1/2 tsp dry)
1/8 – 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
5 oz gruyere cheese
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place rolled out pie crust in a 9″ pie plate and flute edges. Place in fridge until ready to use.

In a large skillet on the stove-top, melt butter. Add onions and garlic and cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add sliced zucchini and add a sprinkle of salt (about 1/2 tsp) and a few cracks of black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until zucchini is softened. Remove pan from heat and set aside.

In a separate bowl lightly beat eggs. Add dijon mustard, oregano, red pepper flakes. Whisk until combined and then gently stir in Gruyere cheese.

Add egg and cheese mixture to zucchini mixture and toss until combined (I gave up the first time and added another egg because it wasn't coating the zucchini fast enough...please be patient. It will cover all the zucchini). Place mixture in prepared pie crust and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.

Bake for 40-50 minutes or until center is set and top is lightly golden (I only cooked mine from 30-40, so watch it carefully). Cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. Can be served warm, at room temp, or even cold.

Recipe Source: Our Best Bites

No comments: