Thursday, November 17, 2011

Cranberry Sauce

So I went to a cooking class put on by Chef Kent. He is the chef for La Jolla Groves, and Milawi's Pizza. I was sent by my good friend Melory (thank you!!). It was wonderful! The best part was all the little tips I picked up, which I'm sure will be stated at some point in the future.
Everything was very simple (which I was super excited about), and I got very excited to make my own Thanksgiving dinner-okay, not going to happen this year, but someday!
Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry Sauce
Serves about 20.
1 pound bag of fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice, optional
1 cup mandarin oranges
Dash of kosher salt to taste

In medium sauce pan that is already heated {on medium-high}, place cranberries and sugar in pan. Watch carefully {unless you have awesome $1000 pans...which I don't}, stirring. The mixture is very dry, but the cranberries pop open and release their juices {and lots of natural pectin}. Add mandarin oranges {with juice if mixture is still dry}, and if its VERY dry, add more orange juice. Bring to a simmer, turn down heat, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Stir often to prevent sticking and adjust seasoning with a touch of kosher salt. Allow to cool and serve!

No comments: