Friday, January 27, 2012

Healthy Chicken Nuggets

I realize that not one recipe I've put on here has been my creation. I am not anywhere near coming up with my own recipe...in my creativity or cooking skills. So, I continue to gather recipes from other amazing people. Also, I usually use their pictures because they have nice cameras, and I usually choose to make a recipe according to the picture. As you can tell, Mel is one of my favorite people, although she probably has no idea I exist. Another credit to her is this recipe. Its quick, healthy, and delicious.

Healthy Chicken Nuggets
A Cookie sheet full of chicken nuggets
Baked Chicken Nuggets2-3 thick slices whole wheat bread (for about 1 cup of crumbs)
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup panko crumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon water
4 large (about 2 pounds) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch or so sized pieces

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.

In a food processor or blender, place the slices of whole wheat bread and pulse until crumbs form. Add the basil, oregano and Parmesan cheese and pulse until combined. Pour the bread crumbs into a shallow dish (like a pie plate) and mix in the panko crumbs.

In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, egg whites and water until well combined. Pat the chicken cubes dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Toss the chicken cubes in the egg white/olive oil mixture before taking a few of them at a time and rolling them in the bread crumb mixture to coat evenly.

Place the coated chicken nuggets on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, carefully flip the nuggets over (taking care not to remove the breading) and bake for 5 minutes longer, or until cooked through (the exact time will depend on the size of the chicken pieces). Serve immediately. 

We ate these with a Pineapple Dipping Sauce (the link uses pineapple-orange juice, but I used plain pineapple juice) recipe that was found in a "Fun with fruits & vegetables kids cookbook" made by Dole (around 1998). Scott remembers having this dip when he was younger, and I just happen to have a copy of the cute little cookbook!

Recipe Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

No comments: