Friday, January 6, 2012

African Sweet-Potato Soup

Photo Credit to Fitness Magazine
Again, I was squinting as I read this recipe...thank you Fitness Magazine! So the picture for this one is on the top left, obviously.
Another recipe that was surprisingly delicious, and healthy! We love it when those two mix. My sister-in-law, Miss Elizabeth, was over and got to try it. She really liked it. We were all pleasantly surprised. Warning...it has some kick to it. (Seriously...so good).

African Sweet-Potato Soup
Makes 3 Servings
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 quart chicken stock (I used beef and it was just fine, also, I would use less)
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 potato, cubed
1 can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I used creamy)

Saute onion and garlic in oil for about 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, potatoes, tomatoes, spices and peanut butter. Simmer 10-12 minutes.
It says if you eat one serving with a whole-wheat roll (with one teaspoon butter), and a garden salad sprinkled with 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds and 1 tablespoon vinaigrette...the meal is 500 calories. I spiced my salad and roll up, and had a little more than one serving, so it was more...and totally worth it!

Recipe Source: Fitness Magazine

No comments: