Friday, March 8, 2013

Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells with a Lemon Sage Brown Butter Sauce

A pinterest find. Oh pinterest, how I love thee. Now, I made these for dinner, but after doing that, I decided that they were supposed to be made for appetizers. They were just missing something. I think I ate 7 or 8 (or 10) of them, but I still wasn't satisfied. So, I will only make them for appetizers, but I will most definitely be making them again. (And you have to make the brown butter sauce...take my word for it).

Photo Credit to Proud Italian Cook

Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells 
w/ Lemon Sage Brown Butter Sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
16 ounces jumbo pasta shells
2 cups ricotta
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup frozed chopped spinach, squeezed and drained
1 egg
Salt
Pepper
Lemon peel, grated
1 stick butter
10 sage leaves {or sprinkle some ground sage in}
Fresh Lemon juice

Toss squash in oil and roast in hot oven at 425 for 15-20 minutes.
Cook your jumbo pasta shells according to directions.
Add the ricotta through lemon peel in a bowl and mix well.
Stuff the shells with the mixture and place in a buttered dish {I ended up using an 8x8 and 9x13}.
Make the sage brown butter sauce by melting butter in a sauté pan until golden brown and bubbly. Add the sage and cook for a couple minutes, then add the lemon juice.
Place your shells in a 400F oven until heated through around 20-25 minutes. When finished spoon your warm sage sauce all over and sprinkle with grated parmesan.

Recipe Source: Proud Italian Cook

No comments: