Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Polar Express Hot Chocolate

I've never made homemade hot chocolate. Just packets. That's the only way to do it, right? WRONG. That is the only way not to do it. Scott asked me to find a hot chocolate recipe, and I found this baby. This sweet, creamy, delicious baby. Oh my. Every time I drink it, it's like Heaven in my throat (then esophagus, then in my tummy, my intestines, then in the toelet!-Thank you Amelia)
Photo Credit to the-girl-who-ate-everything.com
Polar Express Hot Chocolate
6 cups milk
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips {don't be stingy! Use quality}
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

In a large pot combine all of the ingredients over low heat. Keep mixture over low heat for 30-40 minutes whisking occasionally until chocolate is fully melted and incorporated with the other ingredients. You can add milk here to adjust to your chocolate preference. Give it a good whisking before serving to get it nice and frothy. If you have an immersion blender, that works great here.
Serve immediately or pour into a slow cooker and keep warm until ready to serve.
Top with whipped cream, crushed candy canes, or sprinkles.

No comments: