Thursday, December 29, 2011

Spinach Artichoke Dip


For Thanksgiving, I was asked to bring an appetizer. My family loves spinach dip that my mom makes, so she makes it for EVERYTHING. I'm not dissing it at all, it's delicious and I can never stop. However, I wanted something new. So I found "The Best Spinach Artichoke Dip" on melskitchencafe.com (one of the three recipe blogs I refer to on a daily basis). It was delicious! It was very cheesy, which I'm not sure my family quite appreciated, so it probably wasn't "the best" for us, but I will definitely make it again! I thank you Mel for all of the work you've done to make my cooking better.


Also, I didn't take a picture, so I borrowed it from Mel. She makes it look better than I could anyway!






Spinach Artichoke Dip
Makes 9x13 pan
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
      2 tablespoons flour
   1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
      1 teaspoon salt
   1/2 teaspoon black pepper
      8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    16 ounces frozen, chopped spinach, defrosted and squeeze dry
      2 (15-ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained
         (and I also cut them up because I don't like them in big chunks in my dip)
      1 teaspoon hot sauce
      1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
      1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13 (or similar size) pan. In a large microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the cream, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Microwave the mixture in 1-minute intervals, whisking fully after each minute, until the mixture is thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
Stir in the remaining ingredients until well combined. Spread the dip into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbling and golden on top. Serve with bread or chips.

Recipe Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

No comments: