Friday, December 7, 2012

Squash {or zucchini} Pie

Don't judge me. I had a TON of squash this summer and didn't know what to do with it. Honestly, I found this recipe because I wanted to trick my family with a yummy pie made of squash without them knowing. I had to make it twice for them to even get a piece because we ate it so fast...no lie. It is utterly delicious.
Photo Credit to mangopowergirl.com 
Zucchini {or squash} Cream Pie
Makes one 9" pie
2 cups peeled and chopped zucchini or yellow squash
3 cups water
1 cup evaporated milk
2 cups white sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 9 inch pie shell

Cook zucchini in water until tender. Drain then put in refrigerator for 10 minutes. Drain zucchini.
Blend zucchini, evaporated milk, white sugar, egg, butter, flour, vanilla together, pulsing until creamy.
Pour mixture into pie crust and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Bake at 325 for 65 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. {I cooked mine for 90-120, depending on which of the two times in one week I made it}

Recipe Source: Food.com

No comments: