Thursday, December 6, 2012

{Healthy} Bacon, Cheese & Tomato Strata

I never cook bacon. Ok, I cook bacon once a year and go "Darn, why did I cook that! My house smells like bacon for 20 hours!!" Quite surprisingly, I kept this because I wanted to try it. Oh man, aren't I glad I did. Yes, yes I am. It's SO worth the bacon smelling house. Times 10.
Photo Credit to livebetteramerica.com
Bacon, Cheese & Tomato Strata
Makes 9x13 pan
7 cups lightly packed 1-inch cubes French bread (8 oz)
2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
2 cups chopped plum (Roma) tomatoes (6 medium)
6 eggs or 1 1/2 cups fat-free egg product
1 1/2cups fat-free (skim) milk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 slices bacon
Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spread bread in baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with 1 1/2 cups of the cheese; mix lightly with bread. Sprinkle with tomatoes.
In medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, mustard, basil and salt with fork or wire whisk; pour over bread mixture. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
Heat oven to 350°F. Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp; drain on paper towel.
Crumble bacon. Sprinkle bacon and remaining 1/2 cup cheese over strata. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: