Sunday, December 16, 2012

Peanut Butter Silk Cake

Peanut Butter Silk Cake
Photo Credit to bettycrocker.com
This was one of my first attempts at anything but a 9x13 shaped cake. I know, it was a few years ago. But I've made it a couple more times, because it is SO good. (Of course you know how partial I am to peanut butter) It's moist, delicious and heavenly. Sometimes I judge Betty Crocker...sorry Betty. I'm not even sure why, maybe I think they're too easy (because I'm dumb enough to want "challenging" recipes), or maybe I don't like them because I like to make everything from scratch (yeah, that dumb thing in me again). Anyway...this is a recipe that proves me wrong. Try it.

Peanut Butter Silk Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 container (1 lb) chocolate frosting (or one recipe chocolate frosting...still haven't found one I love)
1 cup chopped peanuts, if desired

Heat oven to 350°F (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Generously grease bottoms only of 2 (8- or 9-inch) round cake pans with shortening or cooking spray.
In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, 1/2 cup peanut butter, the oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around sides of pans to loosen cakes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in brown sugar. Heat to boiling; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
In chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream on high speed until soft peaks form; set aside. In another medium bowl, beat 1/2 cup peanut butter and the brown sugar mixture on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add whipped cream to peanut butter mixture; beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth and creamy.
Split each cake layer horizontally to make 2 layers. Fill each layer with about 2/3 cup peanut butter mixture to within 1/2 inch of edge. Frost side and top of cake with frosting. Press peanuts onto frosting on side of cake. Store covered in refrigerator.

Note: I like a little more peanut butter filling, so I double that part of the recipe, then add whatever I feel like. And whatever I have left over...I might eat the extra on its own...

Recipe Source: Adapted from Betty Crocker

No comments: